In this cold weather, body needs something to keep warm. Horsegram is one legume which have many medicinal value. It gives warmth to our body. It is widely used in South Indian cuisine.
Here I give you a so simple stir fry, which you can have as an accompaniment for rice or as a snack like I do😊.
Kollu / Horsegram – 1 cup
Onion – 1/2 cup finely chopped
Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
Curry leaves – few
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as required
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
- Soak horsegram overnight. Then wash it 2 or 3 times. ( Check for impurities. Remove any.)
- Pressure cook horsegram with required water for 3 whistles.
- Drain horsegram. (Save the cooked water for making rasam or other curry)
- Heat oil in a pan. Crackle mustard seeds.
- Add chopped onions and curry leaves.
- When it turns translucent, add turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Stir for a minute and add cooked, drained horsegram.
- Add required salt. Mix thoroughly and let it cook for few minutes.
- Add grated coconut and mix thoroughly for a minute.
- Switch off. Serve along with any rice or have as snack.
- Instead of red chilli powder, you can add dry red chilli or green chillies which ever you prefer.