This is a traditional Kerala ( a south Indian state) dish. No special occasion is complete without this aviyal. As far I know it is prepared differently in different parts of Kerala. This is Palakkad style which is my home town.😃
This is so flavour full dish. Hope you all like this and give a try.
Mixed veggies – 2 cups chopped into 2 inch ( I used carrot, white pumpkin,potato, beans, drumstick)
Coconut – 1/2 cup grated
Jeera – 2tsp
Green chilli – 2
Curd / Yogurt – 1/4 cup
Curry leaves – few
Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Grind coconut,jeera and green chilli to coarse paste.
- In a deep dish or kadai, add all veggies except white pumpkin with water almost covering the veggies and cook.
- After 5 minutes add white pumpkin along other veggies and cook till it’s half cooked.
- Drain water and add ground coconut paste to veggies.
- Mix gently and cook till veggies are done.
- Add salt and curd.
- Mix gently till curd coats uniformly. Be careful not to mash veggies.
- Cook for a minute, when it starts bubbling add curry leaves and drizzle coconut oil, cover it. Switch off immediately.
- Leave for two minutes. Let the flavour blend.( When you open the lid , you will love that aroma)
- Serve warm with cooked rice.
- Use the drained water to make rasam or to knead chapathi dough.
- Coconut oil is must for this dish. Only that gives the flavour.
- You can use any veggies like yam, cucumber etc.
- Add white pumpkin 5 minutes after adding other veggies as it cooks fast.